My husband Charlie and myself have been at Southport (SAM) two years as of last month. We've been selling antiques and collectibles for the last 2 years also on eBay. It started when my 90 year old mother said - try selling some of my antiques and antique dolls and the rest is history.
2. What do you collect? I use to collect many things -teacups , teapots, linens, etc. I still collect Irish Belleek with shamrocks. I'm slowly letting go of items I have collected. My current collection is sea shells - we go to the Outer Banks in NC and it's all about the hunt at the beach and you can't beat the price... free!!! Charlie is the shark tooth hunter in the family with a very nice collection of teeth he has found.
3. Star Wars or Star Trek? Myself: Star Trek The Next Generation. Charlie – The original Star Trek.
4. How did you first get interested in antiques? For me, my mom & dad were always collectors. My mother collected antique dolls since I can remember, along with banks, oil lamps, paper dolls, china, crystal , marbles, etc. My father collected string instruments which he repaired. He loved to fix things so the violin or whatever he had worked on could continue to be played or used again - that was his love. So I guess I inherited that trait.
Charlie also inherited the collecting gene from his parents. They too collected items and they would redo older homes in Peru, IN. Charlie learned to collect stamps from his father.
5. What types of things do you sell? We sell china tea cups & teapots, depression glass, books, toys & dolls, linens, wood working tools and furniture.
I like to sell items that can be used in a new way than it's original purpose. As an example: I use an old McCoy frog planter at my kitchen sink and it holds my sponges. My in-laws old large pickling crock holds the weekly newspapers until recycled. I try and pass this thinking on to others.
6. A little bit country or a little bit rock and roll? I'm country & Charlie is country
7. What's your best antiquing tip? When you see an item and it makes you look twice and your toes want to wiggle and your heart wants to sing - You'd better BUY IT! For you will regret it later when you go back and it's gone.....
8. What is the weirdest item you have bought? May not be the weirdest but it’s one of those things that pleasantly surprises you. We were at a doll auction and a box with lot of action figures and dolls came up for sale. There were 4 figures, Peyton Manning (Colts), Troy Polamalu (Steelers), a Rocky Balboa puppet and a Troy Polamalu. My husband wanted the Peyton Manning Figure for his brother that collects colts memorabilia. We got the box lot for $5 which saved me from questioning my husband’s sanity. Turns out, the Troy Polamalu Doll was a redressed Robert Toner Laurent Doll from his twilight series. The doll turned out to be very collectable.
9. Marvel or DC? DC
10. Where's the best place to buy antiques in Indiana (hint hint)? Southport Antique Mall of course! When Charlie and I travel we try and visit other antique malls. Hands down - Southport is truly the best. It's clean, it's antiques & collectibles - no flea market stuff - the vendors here sell nice clean items. The isles are wide, the hours are great (most close at 6 pm) and easy to walk with good lighting and lots to see. Plus as a shopper and as a vendor here at SAM - I appreciate the staff who walk around the mall all day checking on shoppers to see if they need help and also for us vendors. Thank you Southport Staff - You are the best and I truly appreciate all you do.