WOW! We hope you all heard of our overwhelming success with our “All Hallows’ Eve” event! Hundreds of people came to Southport Antique Mall Halloween night for tricks-or-treats, scavenger hunting and costume contest! It was absolutely amazing! In 19 years I have never seen that many people in our store at one time. Everyone had a wonderful time and the parents were so thankful to be there with their little ones. We saw so many creative and adorable costumes. We had many people who had never been to the store before and were so excited to come back and shop with us! It was priceless exposure. I am so thankful to Kristina Haganman, Piper Voge and Jessica Bubp, as well as all of our staff and dealers who rallied to make it such a success. We hope more of you will be able to participate next year, this event will certainly be making a come back!
Our next event is happening RIGHT NOW! Our storewide sale is well underway and we have a lot of new things happening to make it more special. On Saturday, we will have 3-5 food trucks in our WEST parking lot, sweet treats in section 3 and a roving vintage fashion show (AKA “Throwback Threads”) from 12-3. It will be a great day to visit us so come on by and bring your friends! Your support means everything to us!
*Due to the fact that we are very busy during the sale, please make a note that we discourage dealers loading in furniture during the sale. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
* There will be NO PARKING available in the WEST PARKING LOT on SATURDAY ONLY in order to make room for the food trucks. Please take advantage of the EAST PARKING LOT and THE OLD GERDT BUILDING for your parking needs. Thank you!
* We are in need of CLEAN, MEDIUM SIZE BOXES. If you have any, just bring them to the front desk. Thanks!
We anticipate a great sale weekend and hope to share it with you. Thank you for all your support as we reinvent, rediscover and repurpose our ideas to keep Southport Antique Mall the best in Indy! Have a great Thanksgiving. We are so thankful for each one of you!
1. How long have you been an antique dealer, both here in the mall and overall?
My husband Charlie and myself have been at Southport (SAM) two years as of last month. We've been selling antiques and collectibles for the last 2 years also on eBay. It started when my 90 year old mother said - try selling some of my antiques and antique dolls and the rest is history.
2. What do you collect? I use to collect many things -teacups , teapots, linens, etc. I still collect Irish Belleek with shamrocks. I'm slowly letting go of items I have collected. My current collection is sea shells - we go to the Outer Banks in NC and it's all about the hunt at the beach and you can't beat the price... free!!! Charlie is the shark tooth hunter in the family with a very nice collection of teeth he has found.
3. Star Wars or Star Trek? Myself: Star Trek The Next Generation. Charlie – The original Star Trek.
4. How did you first get interested in antiques? For me, my mom & dad were always collectors. My mother collected antique dolls since I can remember, along with banks, oil lamps, paper dolls, china, crystal , marbles, etc. My father collected string instruments which he repaired. He loved to fix things so the violin or whatever he had worked on could continue to be played or used again - that was his love. So I guess I inherited that trait.
Charlie also inherited the collecting gene from his parents. They too collected items and they would redo older homes in Peru, IN. Charlie learned to collect stamps from his father.
5. What types of things do you sell? We sell china tea cups & teapots, depression glass, books, toys & dolls, linens, wood working tools and furniture.
I like to sell items that can be used in a new way than it's original purpose. As an example: I use an old McCoy frog planter at my kitchen sink and it holds my sponges. My in-laws old large pickling crock holds the weekly newspapers until recycled. I try and pass this thinking on to others.
6. A little bit country or a little bit rock and roll? I'm country & Charlie is country
7. What's your best antiquing tip? When you see an item and it makes you look twice and your toes want to wiggle and your heart wants to sing - You'd better BUY IT! For you will regret it later when you go back and it's gone.....
8. What is the weirdest item you have bought? May not be the weirdest but it’s one of those things that pleasantly surprises you. We were at a doll auction and a box with lot of action figures and dolls came up for sale. There were 4 figures, Peyton Manning (Colts), Troy Polamalu (Steelers), a Rocky Balboa puppet and a Troy Polamalu. My husband wanted the Peyton Manning Figure for his brother that collects colts memorabilia. We got the box lot for $5 which saved me from questioning my husband’s sanity. Turns out, the Troy Polamalu Doll was a redressed Robert Toner Laurent Doll from his twilight series. The doll turned out to be very collectable.
9. Marvel or DC? DC
10. Where's the best place to buy antiques in Indiana (hint hint)? Southport Antique Mall of course! When Charlie and I travel we try and visit other antique malls. Hands down - Southport is truly the best. It's clean, it's antiques & collectibles - no flea market stuff - the vendors here sell nice clean items. The isles are wide, the hours are great (most close at 6 pm) and easy to walk with good lighting and lots to see. Plus as a shopper and as a vendor here at SAM - I appreciate the staff who walk around the mall all day checking on shoppers to see if they need help and also for us vendors. Thank you Southport Staff - You are the best and I truly appreciate all you do.
It’s that time of year again! Southport Antique Mall’s Semi-Annual Storewide Sale is here and this year we have added some special features! Keeping with tradition, the sale will begin today (the second weekend in November) and will be extended through Monday the 11th due to Veterans’ Day.
Along with our sale, SAM will be introducing a new event, Throwback Threads, a vintage themed event with many fun features that will be held Saturday the 9th from 12pm to 3pm. There will be a roving fashion show with volunteers walking the mall and modeling beautiful vintage clothing to inspire shoppers. There will also be two mobile boutiques, Retro 101 and Genie’s closet. They will be parked in the west parking lot and will feature vintage and vintage inspired items for guests to browse and buy! SAM will also be hosting a group of food trucks including; Pierogi Love Indy, Citizens Hash, and Scout's Treat Truck.
It should be a great time had by all, full of fun, food, and savings! So come and join us this weekend for a great time with our community!
As many of you may have noticed, the Southport Antique Mall is experiencing quite the transitional phase. We have recently been voted Indy’s Best in Antiques, we are hosting a variety of new events, and building important partnerships with businesses around the greater Indianapolis area. We are very proud of these accomplishments and welcome this new season at SAM.
But as with every new season there are both comings and goings. We are proud to announce that Alissa Thompson will be taking over the day-to-day operations of Southport Antique Mall, as Jane Haganman has chosen to step down from this position and pass on this legacy to her daughter, who has been working in the antique mall since its opening in 1994. Both Alissa and Jane are excited about this new transition in leadership. Jane looks forward to her semi-retirement so she can spend more time with her grandchildren and more time volunteering, as Alissa looks forward to piloting her parents’ legacy into the future and, of course, being her mom's boss ;)
The weather may have been gloomy on Halloween night, but Southport Antique Mall shone bright with smiling families enjoying the evening! SAM could have never predicted the outcome of this year’s All Hallow’s Eve and we thank everyone who attended for making the event such a great success! It was estimated that nearly 1,000 people came out to enjoy our indoor trick or treating event and we couldn’t have had more fun hosting them! Guests also participated in a costume contest and scavenger hunt and the winners will be receiving an adorable pumpkin basket filled with a variety of different candies and treats to enjoy. We received many thanks from families in attendance who otherwise would not have been able to trick or treat with their children. SAM was so proud to be a part of making great memories for all involved! We had so much fun that we’ve decided to make this our First Annual All Hallow’s Eve event and look forward to creating the tradition of a safe, fun Halloween celebration for our own community and the greater Indianapolis area. A special thanks to our staff who rallied together to provide candy for all of our unexpected guests. We are overwhelmed with gratitude to them and to those they served that evening. Make sure to join us next year! Below are some pictures of the event and an image of our little scarecrow who won the costume contest!
Kasey is our newest employee here at the Southport Antique Mall. She is our own office manager Dee's daughter! Even though she has only been here a short time, Kasey is always willing to help with special projects and events! We are happy to have her as an addition to our SAM family!
Collects: vinyl records
Favorite spot in the mall: all the areas with records
Time at SAM: 1 month
Best antiquing tip: wear comfortable shoes!
Favorite things about working at SAM: I absolutely love the staff.
Favorite word: Cher