This month's featured dealer is Tammy Wilson of booth 305. We just love Tammy not only does she maintain a beautiful booth but she also is always pitching in around the mall! She is always willing to help out when we are busy and is always their to participate in our events! Thanks Tammy for all you do!
1. How long have you been an antique dealer, both here in the mall and overall?
Dealer for 12 years, but set up at Flea Markets for a couple of years in the 70's.
2. What do you collect? I collect powder tins, high top baby shoes and vintage holiday decorations.
3. Star Wars or Star Trek? Not really a Sci-fi person.
4. How did you first get interested in antiques? My Grandmother, she had such a great eye for what would be collectable.
5. What types of things do you sell? I like primitives and most things from the 40's and then mix them together.
6. A little bit country or a little bit rock and roll? I'm all rock and roll. My husband and I went to a Guess Who concert for our first date.
7. What's your best antiquing tip? Collect what makes you smile.
8. What is the weirdest item you have bought? I bought this padded object that I thought was for sewing, I still don't know what it is or why I bought.
9. Marvel or DC? I liked Archie as a kid, No super hero interest.
10. Where's the best place to buy antiques in Indiana (hint hint)? SAM !! I'm so happy that I chose SAM 12 years ago, It is truly a pleasure being part of the SAM family. Thanks for all your help and support.
We hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday. We are so happy to announce that our
Semi-Annual Storewide sale in November was a huge success. You all sold over $20,000.00
worth of treasures. Our guests had a great time and seemed to really enjoy our new additions
to the sale including, Throwback Threads (our in-house roving fashion show) and our food
trucks. Thank you so much for all your hard work and support! We would also like to thank our
hard working and dedicated staff for being so flexible and open to these new ideas. Without
them, none of this would be possible.
*IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE MAKE NOTE:
When you pick up your December Settlements (January 5
and after) we are asking that all dealers sign and update new contracts. Please allow time for
this. We will have staff available for any questions you may have. Thank you so much!
*Notes from the desk:
If you make a “deal” with a customer on an item that is located in our store, either through
Facebook, craigslist, twitter etc., please let the front desk know. Please call them with the
name and phone number of the individual you expect to purchase the item and the amount
agreed upon. Unfortunately, we are not able to take the customers word for it. We have to
hear it from you. If we are not able to reach you when the customer comes to buy the item,
you may lose the sale. No one wants that! So please take the extra step so that we are able to
provide the best possible service to our customers and our dealers. Thank you!
*Notes from the floor:
When you bring inventory to the store and use one of our loading doors, please do your best
to load your items quickly. Our staff is instructed to not leave unlocked doors unattended and
they are always needed on the floor to help guests. If you would please be mindful of that, as
well as our escaping heat, it would be appreciated more than you know.
When furniture sells but is not being delivered the same day, we do our best to move that
furniture out of the space whenever possible. However, our storage space is very limited. If
you have items you would like removed from your booth until they are picked up, please ask.
Many times we can accommodate your request but, it is up to our staff if we have the space or
not. Do not take it upon yourself to move items into the garage or empty booths. I apologize
for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
Thank you so much for a wonderful November. Everyone here at Southport Antique Mall
would like to wish you all a very Happy Holiday season. Let the peace of this time be with you
and your families as we welcome a new year. I am so thankful to begin another year with
Southport Antique Mall.
“Welcome Christmas as we stand, heart to heart and hand in hand.”-Dr. Suess
We were guests on IndyStyle! We talked about buying Christmas gifts for collectors and gifting collectables. If you didn't get to see the spot you can watch it below!
In our hurried world it is easy for gift buying to feel like just another mundane task. But by making your gift a part of your holiday tradition, you can turn the mundane into a cherished memory. A lovely way to do this is by helping a loved one start a collection by creating a gifting tradition. Purchasing a compact for your niece or buying your nephew a different pocket knife every year for the holidays are just two examples of gifting traditions. To choose which collection to begin for your loved ones consider the things they find joy in or begin a collection with something that represents an interest or a special memory that you both share. Are they a fashionista? Perhaps, beginning a hat collection would be the solution. Or is your tradition to always cook together? Maybe an apron collection would be the perfect gifting tradition. It's the tiny traditions that keep us close during the holidays so begin a new one this season and start meaningful collections for the ones you hold dear.
It gets harder and harder every year to come up with creative stocking stuffers for the adults in your life. We tend to always have the same things; tiny mass produced gadgets, jewelry, and candy that everyone grabs at the counter as they check out. (But don't worry we would never suggest you leave out the candy.) But wouldn't you like the stockings to be an adorable surprise that would cause that special adult in your life to smile like a kid on Christmas morning? It's simple! Consider shopping antiques! With a similar price point, antique stocking stuffers are the way to go! Find those items that brought joy to that adult as a child or, even better, get them something they always wanted as a child, but never received. When buying vintage and antiques you don't only give the present, but also you pass along joyful holiday nostalgia.
WOW! We hope you all heard of our overwhelming success with our “All Hallows’ Eve” event! Hundreds of people came to Southport Antique Mall Halloween night for tricks-or-treats, scavenger hunting and costume contest! It was absolutely amazing! In 19 years I have never seen that many people in our store at one time. Everyone had a wonderful time and the parents were so thankful to be there with their little ones. We saw so many creative and adorable costumes. We had many people who had never been to the store before and were so excited to come back and shop with us! It was priceless exposure. I am so thankful to Kristina Haganman, Piper Voge and Jessica Bubp, as well as all of our staff and dealers who rallied to make it such a success. We hope more of you will be able to participate next year, this event will certainly be making a come back!
Our next event is happening RIGHT NOW! Our storewide sale is well underway and we have a lot of new things happening to make it more special. On Saturday, we will have 3-5 food trucks in our WEST parking lot, sweet treats in section 3 and a roving vintage fashion show (AKA “Throwback Threads”) from 12-3. It will be a great day to visit us so come on by and bring your friends! Your support means everything to us!
*Due to the fact that we are very busy during the sale, please make a note that we discourage dealers loading in furniture during the sale. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
* There will be NO PARKING available in the WEST PARKING LOT on SATURDAY ONLY in order to make room for the food trucks. Please take advantage of the EAST PARKING LOT and THE OLD GERDT BUILDING for your parking needs. Thank you!
* We are in need of CLEAN, MEDIUM SIZE BOXES. If you have any, just bring them to the front desk. Thanks!
We anticipate a great sale weekend and hope to share it with you. Thank you for all your support as we reinvent, rediscover and repurpose our ideas to keep Southport Antique Mall the best in Indy! Have a great Thanksgiving. We are so thankful for each one of you!
1. How long have you been an antique dealer, both here in the mall and overall?
My husband Charlie and myself have been at Southport (SAM) two years as of last month. We've been selling antiques and collectibles for the last 2 years also on eBay. It started when my 90 year old mother said - try selling some of my antiques and antique dolls and the rest is history.
2. What do you collect? I use to collect many things -teacups , teapots, linens, etc. I still collect Irish Belleek with shamrocks. I'm slowly letting go of items I have collected. My current collection is sea shells - we go to the Outer Banks in NC and it's all about the hunt at the beach and you can't beat the price... free!!! Charlie is the shark tooth hunter in the family with a very nice collection of teeth he has found.
3. Star Wars or Star Trek? Myself: Star Trek The Next Generation. Charlie – The original Star Trek.
4. How did you first get interested in antiques? For me, my mom & dad were always collectors. My mother collected antique dolls since I can remember, along with banks, oil lamps, paper dolls, china, crystal , marbles, etc. My father collected string instruments which he repaired. He loved to fix things so the violin or whatever he had worked on could continue to be played or used again - that was his love. So I guess I inherited that trait.
Charlie also inherited the collecting gene from his parents. They too collected items and they would redo older homes in Peru, IN. Charlie learned to collect stamps from his father.
5. What types of things do you sell? We sell china tea cups & teapots, depression glass, books, toys & dolls, linens, wood working tools and furniture.
I like to sell items that can be used in a new way than it's original purpose. As an example: I use an old McCoy frog planter at my kitchen sink and it holds my sponges. My in-laws old large pickling crock holds the weekly newspapers until recycled. I try and pass this thinking on to others.
6. A little bit country or a little bit rock and roll? I'm country & Charlie is country
7. What's your best antiquing tip? When you see an item and it makes you look twice and your toes want to wiggle and your heart wants to sing - You'd better BUY IT! For you will regret it later when you go back and it's gone.....
8. What is the weirdest item you have bought? May not be the weirdest but it’s one of those things that pleasantly surprises you. We were at a doll auction and a box with lot of action figures and dolls came up for sale. There were 4 figures, Peyton Manning (Colts), Troy Polamalu (Steelers), a Rocky Balboa puppet and a Troy Polamalu. My husband wanted the Peyton Manning Figure for his brother that collects colts memorabilia. We got the box lot for $5 which saved me from questioning my husband’s sanity. Turns out, the Troy Polamalu Doll was a redressed Robert Toner Laurent Doll from his twilight series. The doll turned out to be very collectable.
9. Marvel or DC? DC
10. Where's the best place to buy antiques in Indiana (hint hint)? Southport Antique Mall of course! When Charlie and I travel we try and visit other antique malls. Hands down - Southport is truly the best. It's clean, it's antiques & collectibles - no flea market stuff - the vendors here sell nice clean items. The isles are wide, the hours are great (most close at 6 pm) and easy to walk with good lighting and lots to see. Plus as a shopper and as a vendor here at SAM - I appreciate the staff who walk around the mall all day checking on shoppers to see if they need help and also for us vendors. Thank you Southport Staff - You are the best and I truly appreciate all you do.
It’s that time of year again! Southport Antique Mall’s Semi-Annual Storewide Sale is here and this year we have added some special features! Keeping with tradition, the sale will begin today (the second weekend in November) and will be extended through Monday the 11th due to Veterans’ Day.
Along with our sale, SAM will be introducing a new event, Throwback Threads, a vintage themed event with many fun features that will be held Saturday the 9th from 12pm to 3pm. There will be a roving fashion show with volunteers walking the mall and modeling beautiful vintage clothing to inspire shoppers. There will also be two mobile boutiques, Retro 101 and Genie’s closet. They will be parked in the west parking lot and will feature vintage and vintage inspired items for guests to browse and buy! SAM will also be hosting a group of food trucks including; Pierogi Love Indy, Citizens Hash, and Scout's Treat Truck.
It should be a great time had by all, full of fun, food, and savings! So come and join us this weekend for a great time with our community!
As many of you may have noticed, the Southport Antique Mall is experiencing quite the transitional phase. We have recently been voted Indy’s Best in Antiques, we are hosting a variety of new events, and building important partnerships with businesses around the greater Indianapolis area. We are very proud of these accomplishments and welcome this new season at SAM.
But as with every new season there are both comings and goings. We are proud to announce that Alissa Thompson will be taking over the day-to-day operations of Southport Antique Mall, as Jane Haganman has chosen to step down from this position and pass on this legacy to her daughter, who has been working in the antique mall since its opening in 1994. Both Alissa and Jane are excited about this new transition in leadership. Jane looks forward to her semi-retirement so she can spend more time with her grandchildren and more time volunteering, as Alissa looks forward to piloting her parents’ legacy into the future and, of course, being her mom's boss ;)
The weather may have been gloomy on Halloween night, but Southport Antique Mall shone bright with smiling families enjoying the evening! SAM could have never predicted the outcome of this year’s All Hallow’s Eve and we thank everyone who attended for making the event such a great success! It was estimated that nearly 1,000 people came out to enjoy our indoor trick or treating event and we couldn’t have had more fun hosting them! Guests also participated in a costume contest and scavenger hunt and the winners will be receiving an adorable pumpkin basket filled with a variety of different candies and treats to enjoy. We received many thanks from families in attendance who otherwise would not have been able to trick or treat with their children. SAM was so proud to be a part of making great memories for all involved! We had so much fun that we’ve decided to make this our First Annual All Hallow’s Eve event and look forward to creating the tradition of a safe, fun Halloween celebration for our own community and the greater Indianapolis area. A special thanks to our staff who rallied together to provide candy for all of our unexpected guests. We are overwhelmed with gratitude to them and to those they served that evening. Make sure to join us next year! Below are some pictures of the event and an image of our little scarecrow who won the costume contest!